Saturday, October 20, 2007

Any reason to be afraid?

I really shouldn't update during the last over but I couldn't put off updating any longer. It looks like Pakistan will win this one, Inshallah. They need 27 runs from the last over with Umar Gul bowling at the death. He's very good at this. Unfortunately for South Africa, I don't see them winning this. 27 is a massive effort...and why should they win this? They can win the rugby world cup this evening!

Ok and we won! Yay! First time since I've started writing this blog that we've won something! Well done Pakistan!

Now a brief overview as I have to move on to less interesting things before the rugby World Cup final tonight. I have no idea what the rules are and the only way I'll know South African players is by their uniforms. But I have some patriotism to my country of residence...and rugby is the only way I can do that because I hate the cricket team and would be ashamed supporting such a pathetic soccer team. Anyways, moving on. I know South African's read this...please don't get me wrong, I love SA...maybe not as much as Pakistan but I do have a true affection for my country(s).

Pakistan won the match by 25 runs. Their openers left them lacking as per usual and if it wasn't for the century by Mohammad Yousuf and half century by Shoaib Malik, we would have been in serious trouble. Kamran Akmal went out for a duck (if it wasn't for his average wicketkeeping, he would so be out of the squad) and Imran Nazir followed him a few overs later for 2. If this guy doesn't have a good game next time, he can also kiss his place bye-bye.

A nice partnership was building between MoYo and Younis Khan and it was unfortunate the way Younis went out, caught out of his crease as MoYo waved him back from a run. My favourite captain comes out and has quite a decent innings, scoring 56 from 52 balls (without making a single 4, only 6's, lol). Misbah-ul-Haq started off quite well and scored 21 before being caught by Smith. Shahid Afridi makes me laugh...he plays like me. Hits a boundary and then goes out. He smacked a six off Kallis before going out the next ball. We have to stop thinking of Afridi as a match-winner or someone who can turn things around. Yes he can play brilliantly sometimes, but he's too inconsistent and either does two things under pressure...smashes all around the field or goes out. MoYo only went out in the second last over for a brilliant and match saving 117. The last two overs were a debacle however as Pakistan lost Abdur Rehman and Iftikhar Anjum in quick succession and it was only a 6 and a few quick singles by the tail to bring Pakistan to 265.

I didn't know they implemented the no ball equals free hit in ODI's but I guess they did. Despite an early no-ball, Gibbs goes out for a royal duck. Next to fall was Kallis who also went out without scoring a run. While things were looking pretty for Pakistan...what happened to the fielding performances from the Twenty20?! This was atrocious with numerous dropped catches. Gul dropped Smith in the 11th over...and the next over, De Villiers was dropped as well, both easy catches. Smith was dropped again in the 15th over and I think the man's evolving into the cat with 9 lives. De Villiers put a decent 35 on the scoreboard before going out. During an over by Afridi, Smith basically lobs the ball back at him and Afridi drops it...pathetic.

Kemp couldn't get a good wind and he and Boucher left, not putting much on the board and despite Smith's presence, things were looking good for Pakistan. Smith finally went out in the 35th over and Pakistan should have cleaned up the rest...Pakistan is a team of gentlemen however and they have to give the other team a sporting chance -roll eyes-. Morkel started creating some trouble with Pollock and was dropped in the 39th over. How many dropped catches have their been now? Finally Morkel was run out and Pollock also left by the 46th over. Unfortunately, Pakistan let them go to the last over before SA was 240 all out.

And that's that. Have a good day Pakistani's and Go Springboks!

No comments: