Thursday, October 11, 2007

A draw maybe?

Ever since I started writing this blog, things haven't been looking good for Pakistan cricket. I'm hoping that we'll have better luck in the ODI's and at best, Pakistan could manage a draw with this second test. I hope it's a draw! I don't want Pakistan to lose the series so badly...

News today...well, they declared at 305/4 and with Salman Butt going out for 6 early, it seemed like another bad day. But Kamran Akmal and Younus Khan are both almost on 50...wouldn't it be nice if they got centuries? Pakistan need 349 runs on the last day...not a really gettable total, unless they start playing Twenty20-esque cricket without losing the wickets.

I can't talk about it. It's too depressing really. Let's talk about something just as cheerful...Mohammad Asif's elbow. He's been ruled out for the rest of the Test and may only play later on in the ODI's, after suffering from a recurrent elbow injury...it's a slight inflammation, but whatever.

Shoaib Akhtar is seriously not a happy chappie, being handed a 13 match ban (which includes the Twenty20 tournament...meaning he could play in the last ODI against SA) and a huge fine of US$57,000 for disciplinary infractions. He's also on a 2-year probationary period, meaning if he screws up once more, he'll be banned for life. Does anyone want to bet with me over how long before he's banned? I say 5 months, tops.

Akhtar says:

"I have apologised to Asif, my team-mates, the country. It was a nightmare for me and something that happened in the heat of the moment. I have suffered enough in the last four weeks.

"I want to put this matter behind me now and focus on cricket. I want to thank the board for considering this matter carefully. I will pay what penalties I have to but I want to get ready for India now."

It would be nice to let him play in India...not only is it a chance for him to relive past glories (so he says), it would also be great to see Pakistan with a 3-pronged fast bowling attack. Asif, Akhtar and Umar Gul. Guess we'll have to see.

Now I'm out of here...c'mon Pakistan, you can draw this...

No comments: