Friday, October 12, 2007

You rock Inzi!


Are great batsmen cursed? Brian Lara ended his career with a whimper, Inzi couldn't beat Javed Miandad's record and even Don Bradman was bowled for a duck in his last innings. But really, is that important? But...are you great by how you spent your time at the crease or how you left it finally? Don Bradman is still remembered as the greatest batsman of all time and Inzamam Ul Haq will still be remembered as the solid wall that kept Pakistan cricket together for so many years.

I know I've kinda shown that I wasn't a fan of Inzi, but in the end of the day, he was a great player, batsman and captain. He deserves our respect and we (Pakistani's) should be proud that he played for us. We wish you all the best Inzi, whatever you're doing after this. Thank you for everything. Here's a very nice homage by players all over the world to Inzi.

His words to the crowd and the world:

"I am going today but I would like to thank you for all the support that you all have given me for the last 17 years. I would also like to thank the members of the board for giving me this opportunity. I would like to thank you the selectors also for selecting me for these 17 years. I thank my seniors and colleagues for supporting me. Special mention to the boys, in this team, who played under my captaincy and for extending support.

I thank my family, my brother and sisters. Especially, my father, who would be really sad that I am quitting the game. Also, my wife for supporting me thick and thin through everything.

"Unfortunately I couldn't finish this game on a high. But that's the way it goes sometimes."
Inzi then returned to his team, arriving to big hugs and Shoaib Malik weeping away. Despite my best efforts, I still haven't found the video of that. Hopefully will find something by Sunday...

Ok. Now I have to stop weeping and get on with cricket news. We drew the match, which is better than losing, obviously, but a win would have been nice. Younus Khan and Kamran AKmal were doing very well from the start, poor Kamran went out for 71, a nice innings that may have saved his Pakistani career. Mohommad Yousuf finally got the hang of things and the two 'You's were making a nice partnership until Younus went out at 130...at least he made a century. Yousuf and Malik stayed until the end, but when it was obvious that Pakistan couldn't win this, the match was declared a draw.

Vice-Captain Salman Butt is in trouble for complaining about the umpiring and saying that MoYo wasn't supposed to be out. I'd probably agree with his, except that cricket is a game where the umpire is always right (except Darrell Hair, hehe) and complaining about decisions not going your way is kinda stupid, especially since he lost 50 % of his match fees.

Finally, umpire Rudi Koertzen may be investigated by the ICC after Darrell Hair insisted that Koertzen called the Pakistani team a bunch of cheats over the phone at his tribunal. Obviously, the PCB encouraged this.

So the end of another day of cricket. Well done South Africa, you played well. Eid Mubarak to all Muslim readers, you won't see an update tomorrow because of that and everyone else...just take the day off if you have work and say you're supporting tolerance in religion. :-D

Have a great day and weekend everyone!

No comments: